About Me

My photo
I am me. A young lady born and raised in South Africa with German and Irish ancestors. My life has it's ups and down. I am a sinner, I am a Christian, I am not perfect, but I am striving to be the best I can be.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

In My Day… 12 July 2012

Mark and I had a safe trip to Queenstown, my hometown.  It’s his first time in this area of the country since he was a little boy, so he was so excited to be around the mountains and nature, and I was just as excited to see it all again and feel at home.

When arriving in my hometown, we drove around.  I showed Mark the 3 houses my dad and grandfather built.  My grandfather’s house still looks exactly the same, just new paint.  The people living in it are looking after it very well.  The other houses are not looking that great, but still better than their neighbouring houses.  The area that they were built in is not such a great area anymore.  The field across from the house is all built up with townhouses now, and no trace of the bicycle trails remain.  The park that I always went to is missing it’s swings and the wood of the jungle gym is rotting.  The park itself is overgrown.  It was sad and shocking at the same time.

We went past the Sunken Gardens (a park with large duck ponds) in Queenstown.  The part that the Casino owns is well maintained, but the other part that is still owned by the municipality is a dumping ground for litter it seems.  It really is a sad sight to see how the inhabitants of the town couldn’t be bothered about looking after the place that was once so beautiful.

We drove out to the Bongolo Dam.  It is very full and almost overflowing.  The trees and some of the park benches are under the water!  It was truly an amazing sight to see.  Not a breath of wind was on the water, and it was like a mirror to the sky.

We went out to supper tonight at Dagwood Roadhouse.  Delicious rump steak meal, but I couldn’t finish it, so it will now be my breakfast.

Now it is off to bed, and onto a day tomorrow looking through my stuff at my mom’s house and deciding what to keep and what to throw out.

No comments:

Post a Comment